News

• New version of Geooh Live published!

Topic: data network issues (Read 606 times) previous topic - next topic

data network issues
geooh live v9.1.4
android 5.0
dual sim, data on one, phone and text on the other
configuration worked no problem in past

i noticed some problems lately which may or may not have coincided with the latest google play services update.

first off, everything works properly on wifi.

however, on data geooh unexpectedly stops working. if i refresh logs in the Logs screen, it will say
Warning The network is not available
and if i attempt to refresh the cache listing it will say
Error The network is not available
in the live view i'll get the same thing if i select a cache

once it enters that state, it doesn't recover.

i thought it was my network but switching immediately to my email app shows it's working and the geocaching app continues to work (oh god that thing is badly designed). switching back to geooh and the same problem continues

i have noticed that quitting geooh live and then restarting it makes it go again but soon after it enters that error state and no more network activity is possible.

i was about to delete and reinstall geooh live but i thought i'd hold off in case there's something else you want me to try first.

-s

Re: data network issues
Reply #1
There is some quirk with Google Play Services that drops the connection at times. Although it is suppose to automatically reconnect, I've found it doesn't. I keep trying to tweak things to force a reconnect, but still now sure if that works. It appears to be a recent Android change since the same code was working before. I'll keep trying.

Reply #2
just keeping this alive. tried to delete and reinstall the app but it's the same. whether on an ftf run or just trying to look up cache info in the field, it just cannot be done anymore. constant
Warning The network is not available
or
Error The network is not available
messages...i have to use the groundspeak app under those circumstances. and i've noticed because of that, i've been using up so much more data compared to geooh live. i got spoiled that geooh live is good for living on a shoestring data plan. the groundspeak app must be doing piles of things i don't want it too.

Reply #3
Unlike the official app Geooh tries to insure there is a strong data connection so anything 3G or below is treated as network not available... but the official still uses it. Due to the data transfer with the API using the slower speeds caused issues with timeouts, so I thought it best to stick with the higher speeds.

The new version of Geooh to be released next month fixes issues of losing the GPS connection you've encountered, but the lower speed network connections will still be an issue.

Reply #4
but 9.1.4 worked before the last google play services update...and it worked well...on 3G...and even on edge which happens from time to time in southern ontario...never had those errors until that last google play services update...and there's not been a problem with GPS, just the data network connectivity

am i the only one having a problem with this lately?

Reply #5
I haven't gotten any reports