Skip to main content

News

• New version of Geooh Live published!

Topic: TB scanner not working with Samsung Galaxy S8 (black camera screen) (Read 221 times) previous topic - next topic

TB scanner not working with Samsung Galaxy S8 (black camera screen)
Hello,
The TB scanner is not working on my phone : Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950FD, Android 7.0

The error message is : Could not set up the vision detector. Please try again.

I attached some pictures to show the problem.

Tell me if you would like more information !

Re: TB scanner not working with Samsung Galaxy S8 (black camera screen)
Reply #1
Thanks for the report... it's good to know about issues like this.

The first time that an app uses Google's Vision API (like Geooh does), Android will download native libraries to the device in order to do detection. Usually this completes before the app is run for the first time. But if that download has not yet completed and Geooh detects the required libraries are not available, then you get the error message.

Have you tried multiple times to scan? And while connected to the Internet? Any possibility that there is some security app preventing the download?

There are other apps using the same vision technology that Geooh employs. See if the app below works on your phone:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nour.android.nour.samples.vision.text

Reply #2
Have you tried multiple times to scan? And while connected to the Internet?
Yes and yes

Any possibility that there is some security app preventing the download?
I don't have specific security app on my phone, it's the official Samsung firmware and my phone is not rooted.

There are other apps using the same vision technology that Geooh employs. See if the app below works on your phone
The camera work with this app but when I tap the screen, nothing happen, no recognition  :(

Is there a way I can generate a log file that could help you ?

Reply #3
The camera work with this app but when I tap the screen, nothing happen, no recognition

You mean Geooh or the other app? You can't tap on the other's app's screen for recognition?

Is there a way I can generate a log file that could help you ?

Not really... Geooh is using a Google test to check if the detector is available and if not, shows the message... so there would not be a log of anything valuable. Try removing Geooh off the phone, and reinstalling it to see if that changes things. I'll keep researching on my end to see if other developers have experienced something similar.

Reply #4
You mean Geooh or the other app? You can't tap on the other's app's screen for recognition?
on the other app, the camera picture is showing but nothing happen when I tap the screen.
On Geooh, I just have a black screen and then the error message.

Not really... Geooh is using a Google test to check if the detector is available and if not, shows the message... so there would not be a log of anything valuable. Try removing Geooh off the phone, and reinstalling it to see if that changes things. I'll keep researching on my end to see if other developers have experienced something similar.
I uninstalled and reinstalled without improvement unfortunately, it's weird that a Google API is not working... I will try to see if it's only my phone or all Samsung S8...

Reply #5
I did some research and others have experienced something similar. Most indicated it was a storage issue that prevented the vision libraries from downloading. Can you see about freeing up space on your phone? You may also try go to Android settings app info, locate Google Play Services, then clear cache for its storage in case something needs to be freed up there.

I'm checking with some beta users to see if one of them has an S8 they could test with. Try the storage first to see how that goes.

Reply #6
Can you see about freeing up space on your phone?
Seems ok (see screenshot) I remove cache for all applications but no improvement

You may also try go to Android settings app info, locate Google Play Services, then clear cache for its storage in case something needs to be freed up there.
done but the problem is still here

Reply #7
Well, I'm really at a loss as to what's happening. The issue has never been reported before. I'll research some more, but I'm not hopeful I'll be able to resolve it since it's primarily a Google technology that Geooh uses.

Reply #8
Have you tried restarting your phone? There are several bug reports on Google's vision support forum about some phones having the same black screen after a recent updates to Google Play Services (which is the vision technology). Suggestions were to free up space or reboot the phone in hope that an update to the services library will correct the problem.

Reply #9
Not better after 2 reboots.

If it can help, here is the version number of Google Play Services on my phone : 11.5.09 (448-164803921)
The Play store tell me it's the latest version (and the changelog in Android documentation does not seem to have been updated yet as it only mention 11.4 version : https://developers.google.com/android/guides/releases )

But do not take too much time investigating my issue especially if I am the only one.
I would love to see it working on my phone but I could use your app without having it. :)

Thank you for your work by the way, this app is full of promise !
  • Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:18:49 AM by @rthur

Reply #10
I'll monitor Google forum on vision bugs to see if it gets resolved. It appears it's only a recent version of Google Play Services that introduced the issue. Please be patient until they can provide a fix and update. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Here is the source of bug reports: https://github.com/googlesamples/android-vision/issues. The key problem is when the developer checks the 'isOperational' command to confirm the vision library is available to use. Apparently, it returns false regardless of the state.

And thanks for the compliment on the app!

Reply #11
Finally it works ! 🙌

The reason is that there is a bug (or intended restriction, I don't know) in Google Play Services that won't download anything under Android 7.0/Nougat when you are in roaming even if you allow internet connection in your settings !
All apps are working fine and access to the internet, but not Google play services...

When I connected this morning to my hotel Wifi, a notification about downloading additional files appears immediately in the notifications bar...
And now, it works ! 😃

I found the exact same problem about the play store that had been fixed few months ago, but I think they do not fix it for play services :  https://support.google.com/nexus/forum/AAAANseOu18EPdFg2rZ8Mk/?hl=en

Thank you for your help anyway that allow me to understand the root cause ! 😊

Reply #12
Wow, that is good to know. These are those crazy things about Android that frustrate developers. I thought it had something to do with Google Play Services, but odd you didn't have the latest unless on wifi.

I greatly appreciate you reaching out to help determine the cause. Too often, someone will just leave a poor rating saying the app doesn't work without giving the developer a chance to resolve the issue or explain why it's happening. It may not be the app's fault, but it gets knocked down regardless.

Great it's working now. Let me know of other issues or questions!

Reply #13
I greatly appreciate you reaching out to help determine the cause. Too often, someone will just leave a poor rating saying the app doesn't work without giving the developer a chance to resolve the issue or explain why it's happening. It may not be the app's fault, but it gets knocked down regardless.
As a web developer, I know this too well 😉

Keep up the good work, there is a Mega event in France this week-end where I will talk about your app to encourage my friends to try it 😊