Skip to main content

News

• New version of Geooh Live published!

Topic: County Boundaries (USA) (Read 167 times) previous topic - next topic

County Boundaries (USA)
From "General -> How-To -> County Boundaries": "Geooh is the ONLY geocaching app to automatically show county boundaries on the map".
Well, they don't show automatically in my case. How do I turn them on on the map?
Follow up question - how do I turn on DeLorme page boundaries on the map?
Thank you.

Re: County Boundaries (USA)
Reply #1
Hi, thanks for query.

County boundaries is an add-on feature and once obtained from Google Play they will automatically show for the states you select for showing (too many states slow the map). In Settings you can check the Show Counties checkbox or the Manage Counties button in the left side drawer. This will prompt you to purchase the add-on and once obtained you can start showing the boundaries.

Geooh also has allows generic overlays of any boundaries (such as Delorme) using KML or GeoJSON overlay files. We don't have a repository of Delorme overlays (yet), but one of Geooh's users (byonke) has created some for his own use and I'm sure he'd be happy to provide some for you or explain how he created them. When time permits I'll try to provide various overlays of different challenges that could be downloaded from the geooh.com website. Map overlays are the only other add-on feature from Google Play. To obtain them go to Settings and select the Use Map Overlays setting to obtain this feature... plus offline Mapsforge maps and use of 3rd map tile servers.

Geooh is free for 99% of it's features... and only changes for more advanced uses for the effort to develop and maintain them in the app. Please let me know of additional questions.

Reply #2
Thank you very much for your prompt answer.
Just so you know, one of your competitors already provides ArcGIS Topo online map choice (built-in) which already has county and city / township boundaries drawn.
Thanks again,
CdMC

Reply #3
You're welcome.

Yes, any geocaching app that provides non-Google map tiles can use ArcGIS maps which is a nice alternate. Geooh takes this a step further by overlaying boundaries on ANY map provider for more flexibility. Plus, the app displays county names more visibly, and also allows county shading. And of course you can overlay any boundary files (with waypoints even) via KML/GeoJSON for the ultimate flexibility. Oh, you can also automatically see which county a cache is in (or any map location for that matter) without having to obtain boundary files. Haven't seen any other geocaching app on any platform do that... even Groundspeak's website!

:))

Reply #4
..... Oh, you can also automatically see which county a cache is in (or any map location for that matter) without having to obtain boundary files. Haven't seen any other geocaching app on any platform do that... even Groundspeak's website!....
I see, nice! Thanks for letting me know. I think I am going to use your app more often in the nearest future.
Thank you,
CdMC