Skip to main content

News

• New version of Geooh Live published!

Topic: Placement of GC code in search parameters (Read 914 times) previous topic - next topic

Placement of GC code in search parameters
This may be very specific to the way I cache, but I thought I'd bring this up.

I have my in-the-field cache database on an iPod. I load it up with data from my computer and that's what I use for info. I also use a GPS loaded with the same info (coords). So now I'm out there and have a problem with a cache and the last 5 logs are useless so I use my phone to call up the current data and view some more logs. I go to search and invariably I can't find the GC code field right away because its kinda in the middle of other things. I wish it were right on top. Sound nit-picky and no one else would want that? Maybe. I could certainly accept that. But in case its no skin off anyone's nose, I'd love it to be on top.

Re: Placement of GC code in search parameters
Reply #1
Sorry for the delay...

I understand your request and how it can improve a search. Given that everyone has their personal preferences on search criteria priority, it will be difficult to satisfy everyone. But I do think some of the criteria can be reordered that should fit a majority of needs. I will slide the GC code (and a couple other fields) up higher in the screen and hope that will improve things for you. Expect this change in the upcoming 8.0 version.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply #2
I agree. another notion I had in regards to this was maybe a setting which toggled between advanced search (the way it is now) and basic (just the gccode). just putting it out there.

Reply #3
That's a great idea and easy to implement... but I'm back to determining what everyone would consider advanced or basic. Suggestions?

Hopefully, the same can be achieved by moving the basic criteria to the top so by scrolling down you'd see the advanced.

Reply #4
hmm. when I look at the criteria now, everything there minus the GC code is what I would want when generating a pocket query. I've never had cause to do that out in the field but I like that its there. maybe the GC code is the only thing that really doesn't belong.  with all that criteria,  its a pocket query. with just the GC code, its a lookup. call up one or call up many. makes me wonder what would happen if I entered a GC code for something outside the search distance parameter.

I know that wasn't very helpful.

Reply #5
When a GC code is entered the search only uses it and ignores the rest. Guess I could hide all other fields if there is a value in the GC code to highlight that.

Reply #6
I appreciate the streamline philosophy you have going here. on one hand I'd remove the GC code, rename the current search to query and add either another button labelled lookup or magnifying glass icon in the menu which just asked for the GC code. BUT your current setup saves screen stuff and its not really confusing or anything so why change it.

so I guess I'm back where I started .  except now I'm thinking it would be just as good if you put the gccode right at the bottom since it kind of overrides the query behaviour, it makes sense to isolate it a little at the bottom rather than the middle. people who use the search as a query  wouldn't likely notice (in my opinion)

Reply #7
Yeah, I agree.

In version 8.0, there will be dividers between the various search fields to hopefully provide a clearer grouping of fields. And the GC code lookup will now be at the bottom.

Thanks for your insights.

Reply #8
In version 8.2 of Geooh being released today there will be a Basic and Advanced views of the search screen. It allows you to toggle from a very simple search selection view to an advanced one with all the possible parameters. Please let me know if this works for you.

Reply #9
it most certainly works for me!

99% of the time, i just enter the gc code in the search to look up current data.

perfect!

thank you!

Reply #10
Great, thanks for letting me know.

That 1% search could be very powerful though. :D