Skip to main content

News

• New version of Geooh Live published!

Topic: Geooh Live V8: Problem with new Offinemaps (Mapsforge Maps) (Read 718 times) previous topic - next topic

Geooh Live V8: Problem with new Offinemaps (Mapsforge Maps)
Hello Geeoh Team!

Today you released version 8 of Geooh Live App. I soon activated the offline maps addon to use mapsforge maps within the app.

First of all it works fine with Mapsforge Maps with "Freizeitkarten" theme in the live mode. Map started fast and gut. Everything seems to work fine.

But when I would use an installed database of homezone with about 1000 geocaches in it, some problems appears.

First the switch from offline database to mapview takes about 15 to 20 seconds or more. A think it is a little bit to long. I knew this from other geocaching apps and there is no wait at all.

But the main problem is the map itself. In this case, when I change from database view to mapview there is (online) google maps and not the (offline) mapsforge maps.

Why? When I will use an offline database, I will also use the map offline. And here I wanna use mapsforge maps, that is already stored on my smartphone (sd card) and not the online google maps.

Remember, with live map, everything works well with mapsforge maps.

Maybe there is a failure ...

My smartphone is a samsung galaxy s5 neo with android 6.0.1.
The database and the mapsforge maps are both stored on sd card.

I use the themed mapforge maps from here:

http://freizeitkarte-osm.de/android/de/

Maybe you can help me. You can see attached screenshots.

Greetings Lemmi1de.

Re: Geooh Live V8: Problem with new Offinemaps (Mapsforge Maps)
Reply #1
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like you have two issues so let me try to address them individually...

Load time on large cache lists
Geooh is using the latest Android maps technology (other than the official map, no other geocaching app does) and preloads all the caches onto the map when starting. Developers have reported performance problems with lots of map markers to Google support. Geooh is also internally building the list for the slide out drawer to allow easier selection of geocaches. Plus, the app is using Google's map clustering technology. All of those can contribute to slower load times... and for the most part Geooh is dependent on how well the 3rd party software performs.

Some suggestions to see if things improve:
  • Turn off clustering.
  • Keep the database on internal storage.
  • Reduce the size of the offline list to around 500 caches.

Offline maps not showing
The offline Mapsforge maps should always load (if selected in Settings) regardless whether in Live mode or displaying an offline list. Did it not show only on the large list of caches or does it always not show regardless the number of caches? It could be that a large number of caches is causing some memory or rendering problem. I did receive some bug reports from a Samsung device that could have been yours. The failures didn't point to Geooh, but to some Android internal map and threading issues... which may have been normal concerns for larger number of map items and possibly caused a failure to load the offline map overlays.

Please try with a smaller number of caches... maybe even restart the phone to clear out memory and see if the Mapsforge maps load properly for an offline list.

Let me know of the results.
  • Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:49:02 PM by Geooh Support

Reply #2
Hi Geooh Team!

Other geocaching apps like for example cachebox or gcdroid uses also the newest technology from android and mapsforge maps. So this could not be the reason for the problems. Not only Geooh uses this.

I try to turn off clustering and started smartphone new. Then will switch from offline database list to mapview. What happens? Nothing, Geooh crashed and freezes. Must close it manually.

Decreasing database is no intension. Cause on homezone I normale have a database for over than 3000 geocaches. In the apps I use normally, there is no problem with this big database. It works fast and without a problem.
I use such big databases for years now, cause I need them on vacation or so. Dont wanna switch after a view kilometers to another database and again and again.

In vacancy I make one database from for example the complete northseacoast from B├╝sum to the danish border, thats about 100 km and 2000 to 3000 caches and it works with other apps and not in geooh.

I show some friends of mine geooh and first the liked it. But the deinstalled it couse of the speed of the app. It is actually to slow even on high end devices. And mine was a high end, two years ago too.

Smaller database could not be the thing to me that helps me out. An switching to intern memory is not good at all, cause I need the small internal memory for other things. This is way I will use external.

So I have still the problem with not showing mapsforge maps with offline database. It switched to google maps or it freezes and crashes. Not good at all to me.

Right now I am thinking of deinstalling geooh, cause that makes fun of geocaching gone outside. I must have an geocaching app that works fast and without problems. Cause I wanna go geocaching, not wait or working on problems out in the wood ...

Right now I am a little bit frustrated of this problemes, that beta tester should have seen before release.

By the way I am also beta tester of three other geocaching apps. CacheBox, CacheSense, GCDroid and all of them have not this frustrating problem I wrote.

Dont know what I will do now. But when it won't be better, I will drop Geooh Live and will use my other geocaching apps again ...

Frustrated greatings from germany ...

By the way I send you again a crashlog from the freezing when changing from offline database to mapview. There my email is lemmi1de@googlemail.com

After this crash it loads google maps without any geocache.

I cannot use offline database right now with offline maps ...

Not good at all and still more frustrated.
  • Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:14:21 AM by Lemmi1de

Reply #3
Sorry to hear about the issues.

CacheSense, CacheBox and GCDroid all use v1 of Android internal maps while Geooh uses v2 and the latest Google map components like clustering and overlays. I have those other apps so I know. It's difficult to compare apps like that though given each has different technical foundations and designs.

Geooh wasn't designed for 1,000 - 3,000 caches so I agree you shouldn't use it and you should continuing using the older apps. Are you able to load 3,000 caches into the official Groundspeak app? That app also uses v2 of Android maps so it should be a better comparison. Every app has their strengths so you should use one that best matches your needs.

Thanks for sending the crashlog. I briefly looked at it, but it hasn't revealed anything specific yet. I do suggest you verify that your phone has the latest Android System Webview (which Geooh uses) by going to Android Settings < Apps < Android System WebView (in System apps) and see if there are updates. Does the app crash when opening all offline lists or just large ones? If it always happens, try uninstalling/reinstalling Geooh to see if that helps.

If you are able to send a GPX file where you are having issues, I can load it up and see where some problems may be occurring. The Geooh beta testers haven't reported problems like yours, but they may not be using large cache lists either. I can spend some time next week looking into how to possibly speed up things, but as I mentioned earlier you may be better off with the other apps if they work fine for you. Is there a reason you want to use Geooh over them?

Some questions to help me resolve things:
  • Does the crash and slowdown only occur with Mapsforge maps?
  • Do smaller offline lists or Live mode work?
  • Prior to 8.0 and offline maps did Geooh work for you?

Again, sorry for the issues you are having. I'll do my best to improve things, but maybe another app will be best for you.

Reply #4
FYI, a release of Geooh (8.0.4) is out and may address some of the issues with load times on large lists. Made some modifications and tried work-arounds other developers suggested. On my tests with an offline list of 1000 caches the map loaded up in around 5 seconds. This is comparable to the official Groundspeak app on the same list... the map load time was about the same or higher. They utilize the same map technology that Geooh uses so it's understandable the times would be similar.

But remember, the other Android geocaching apps still use older maps technology on Android that out performs when loading map markers. If they go forward with continued development on Android and use the latest technology, they could encounter the same issues. The new maps have additional features which may affect the load times. If you need upwards of 3000 caches in a list, you may be better served with a different app using the older maps.

Let me know if the new release improves things.

Reply #5
You say you use newer maps technologie.

Where can I download the newer Mapsforge Maps? Maybe the themed ones?

Do you have an address for me?

Right now I used themed maps in version 4 and I thought they are the newest technology.

The link to this called "Freizeitkarte" is some postings above.

If you have another link for better maps please post it.

By the way, I don't use official Geocaching App outdoor, cause of the bad and slowly map support.

Right know I had also deinstalled Geooh cause of the problems I described. But I will give it a second chance and will try it again.
  • Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:04:49 AM by Lemmi1de

Reply #6
The map technology is the internal Google provided software that developers use to display maps. For Android they basically have only V1 and V2 versions... Geooh and the Groundspeak app use V2. The V2 version uses vector maps unlike V1 which uses static tile images.

Other apps may use Mapsforge software as a complete replacement for Google's V1/V2 maps. For offline maps, Geooh uses parts of the Mapsforge software to obtain their map tiles to overlay them on the Google V2 maps technology for a hybrid approach. There are other features of V2 that Geooh uses (clustering, street view, tilted perspective, etc) which require using V2 instead of a complete replacement using Mapsforge. This hybrid approach is unique to Geooh.

The Mapsforge software components that Geooh uses is the latest they provide. It supports version 4 maps with themes. During testing I used Freizeitkarte. You have the latest.

As I've said, every app has their strengths and weaknesses, features unique to them and some missing that are found in other apps. Pick the app best suited for your caching needs. If load time is the most important with Openstreet maps, then don't use Geooh (or the official Groundspeak app) because other apps are best suited for that. If you feel the official app has slow map support, then even the new version of Geooh won't be an improvement for you since it is similar on load times. Unlike the official app though, Geooh does allow you to select your offline map layers like Freizeitkarte.