Skip to main content

News

• New version of Geooh Live published!

Topic: A view wishes for future versions (Read 380 times) previous topic - next topic

A view wishes for future versions
Hi developers!

Here are some things for future releases:

Import of downloaded pocketqueries in zip format.
I mean that I can download the pocketqueries from geocaching.com to my SD card and than import it as it is with caches and waypoints out of the zip file.

Please make it possible to store all offline data to SD card. Let us put the cache databases to SD card.

In map view the driving direction don't goes up. In my case it always looks to northeast. Maybe use the internal compass and GPS better for correct driving sight.
Hope you understand what I mean.

When I use a database with stored caches and will change the sight to mapview. It takes very long the change from list view to map view.
Maybe this could work a little bit faster.

Maybe make it possible, when I am in mapview with a stored offline database that I can activate live data without change the sight.
Maybe clicking a button to activate live view.

Offline maps, based on Mapsforge Maps, stored on SD card, maybe themed.
But I think this will come in version 8

Than this app could be one of the best on market.

Maybe think about it.

Greetings from Germany.

Re: A view wishes for future versions
Reply #1
Thanks for the suggestions!

1) It's on the to-do list for a future release.

2) It's on the to-do list for a future release.

3) Can you explain in more detail? If you are talking about Google Navigation, Geooh just passes the location to the navigation app and has no control over it or it's orientation. Maybe you need to rotate your phone in a figure 8 to fix any orientation issues.

4) The delay may be related to the number of caches displayed on the map. Is it faster with fewer caches? Placing lots of map markers on a map is inherently slow for all Android apps.

5) Unfortunately, this feature would require a major reengineering of the underlying technology... so not sure at this time if it will be possible. It's on a future future to-do list.

6) Offline Mapsforge maps with theme support is coming in 8.0 release (which should be out in early June).

Thanks again for the ideas. With help from users like you, Geooh will (is) the best geocaching app anywhere!

Reply #2
To 3:

I don't mean Google Maps. I mean livemap view in the app. Google Map Navigation works well.

I also use other Geocaching Apps like CacheBox, CacheSense or GCDroid for example. There it works well without problems.

Similar problems appeared in Locus App. There I have to change GPS, changing automatically from magnetic compass to I think GPS based. Than it worked.

Right now, when I drive with Geooh in livemap view the top of the map isn't showing the driving route up, when activated.

Here I can't use an option that helps.
  • Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:22:41 PM by Lemmi1de

Reply #3
Are you talking about when the map is in auto rotate mode where the map rotates in the direction of travel? If so, some apps will ignore the magnetic compass and use an alternative means of determining bearing which requires moving at a particular speed to calculate bearing. Geooh had that ability at one time, but that technique requires always pointing the phone in the direction of travel so it was removed.

Try disabling the setting in the other apps (for example, in CacheSense it's in the Head-up Display section) to see if it matches Geooh's rotation. If this is what you are referring to, I believe it will be easy enough to re-able the capability and provide a Settings option to use that technique again.

Reply #4
This is exactly what I mean and what is the problem to be fixed within Geooh.

Reply #5
I understand now.

The use of the GPS for the heading has been re-added back into Geooh. The next release will have a Settings option in the Maps section to use the GPS when the moving speed is > than 5km/hour (it's off by default). Please let me know if that resolves the issue after you've gotten an update.

Thanks again for reporting this.

Reply #6
After the new update I use the new settings and it works very well.

Test outdoor passed and it was good 😉

Best thanks!

Reply #7
Good to hear!

I'm working on reducing some visual delays when loading a large number of caches in the list and on the map, but it will still be inherently slower than probably you'd like... due to the technical underpinnings of Geooh to support some of the advanced features other apps don't have. If you intend to use offline lists > 1000 caches, I'd suggest using one of the older apps until I have more time to investigate speed improvements.

Reply #8
FYI, when Geooh 8.0 is released, there will be a setting to allow the database to be stored on the SD card. It's in beta now and seems to work well.

Reply #9
Seems that I have to register to beta to test it 😉

When will be release of this?

Reply #10
It's scheduled to be released mid-June.

Reply #11
Just wondering when zip files will be supported.  I pull them in from my Dropbox and they just create empty lists.  I have several hundred there that are refreshed daily.

Reply #12
Hi. It's on the to-do list, but don't have a date yet. Hope to get it into the 8.8 version.

Sorry it's taking awhile.

Reply #13
Had some time to look into the zip files. Came up with a solution quicker than expected so I'll include zip file downloads in the next release. Either a maintenance release or full 8.8 version will be released later this week.

Reply #14
Had some time to look into the zip files. Came up with a solution quicker than expected so I'll include zip file downloads in the next release. Either a maintenance release or full 8.8 version will be released later this week.

Working fine here. Thanks.