Skip to main content

News

• New version of Geooh Live published!

Topic: Differing search results across identical phones (Read 279 times) previous topic - next topic

Differing search results across identical phones
Hi

My wife and I both own the same brand/model of phone - Samsung 5.  We both use the same username on Geocaching.com and we are both signed into it on Geooh.  We are playing around with Geooh but have run into a problem with the search function.  We are getting different results based on the same search parameters.

Using the Search function at the bottom of the screen, we have checked multiple times that we have exactly the same options chosen.  Identical, by each item.  In 'Location', we have typed in Toowoomba, a city near to mine.

My search returns 11 caches, in Toowoomba.

Kerry's search returns 50 caches.  They all have very early GC codes, they appear to be the 50 earliest active geocaches worldwide.  Changing to map view there is 1 in Australia, 1 in New Zealand, 5 in Western Europe and the bulk in North America.

We can't work out why this is.  We can't see any options to choose the age of placed caches.  Further, Kerry's search states 'Toowoomba' for Location.

It seems like a silly question, but it's a silly problem!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Luke
  • Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:01:33 AM by Slow Puncture

Re: Differing search results across identical phones
Reply #1
Luke, thanks for reaching out... and sorry you are having issues.

Your results are odd. I have some questions for you:
  • Do you have a premium membership?.
  • Are you both on the same wifi/cell network when issuing the search?.
  • Do you enter Toowoomba by itself, or use "Toowoomba, Queensland"?.

Geooh is using Google to translate the search address into location coordinates and there may be some discrepancy if on different networks. Groundspeak uses the coords as a center for retrieving surrounding caches. Also, by using the same username, Groundspeak may be interfering since Geooh is required to pass up device info... although I've not heard of any restrictions, maybe they don't like that, but I think that's unlikely.

Some suggestions:
  • Try entering the full address with Queensland..
  • Wait 30 minutes or so between sending separate requests..
  • If on wifi, turn it off to just use the cell network.

When I run the search I get 50 caches in the Toowoomba area. So I'm really curious what is going on. Please get back with me with some answers to the above and let me know how the tests go.

-Ron

Reply #2
Hi, thanks for responding.

Yes, we are on a premium membership and are both signed in.
Yes, both on the same wifi network. 
If we turn wifi off, we are then both on the same mobile (cell) network.
We have been entering 'Toowoomba' on its own.

Please be aware that Kerry has subsequently uninstalled and re-installed the application since I sent the message to you - I was unaware of this.

To your suggested test:

We were both using wifi from our home network, so we both turned that off so we are using the mobile network
We both changed our search location to 'Toowoomba, Queensland'
I ran my search 30 minutes earlier than Kerry

My search again returned the same 11 caches
Kerry's test this time returned 20 caches - in Toowoomba - that's a good start

The difference appears to be:

Kerry's search results include:
2 x disabled traditionals
5 x traditionals
2 x mystery

I cannot see any pattern in the ones that differ between the search results. 

I can confirm that the search parameters are the same, but for the sake of completeness, I will list them here:

TICK   Clear Existing List
UNTICK   Create Empty File
BLANK   Name For List
LOCATION   Toowoomba, queensland
UNTICK   Exclude My Finds
TICK   Exclude My Hides
UNTICK   Lite Download
1   Search Distance
50   Maximum Geocaches
0   Favorite points
1.0 - 5.0   Difficulty
1.0 - 5.0   Terrain
TICK ALL   Geocache Types
TICK ALL   Geocache Sizes
BLANK   Geocache Owners
BLANK   Geocaches Not Found By

(Press SEARCH)

GOOD NEWS:

The uninstall/re-install fixed the search results displaying the 50 oldest caches.  That may forever remain a mystery.

After still receiving different results, the only thing I could see that might have been affecting the process was that we had the search distance set to '1'.  I changed that to '5' on both phones and re-ran the searches, and now both phones return 50 caches - but importantly, the same 50 caches

So that seems to be the answer - using a search distance of '1' seems to be a bit too picky for the search function's liking? 

Reply #3
I'm impressed with your research. It's that kind of effort that helps to pinpoint where a problem may reside. Let me look into the distance slider and see if I can replicate the problem when selecting 1. I should have asked what each of the search criteria values were... that would have had me run the same set of values during my test.

Thanks again... will get back with you.

Reply #4
Hello again.

I ran a search using the same criteria and with search distance of 20. I consistently got 20 in return. At this point, I'm not totally sure why some of your results are different since the requests should be identical when going to Groundspeak. Possibly they have some variation when selecting a number of caches within a particular radius... but if you each get consistently different results that may not be the case.

What are your selections for "Imperial Units" in Settings? 

Reply #5
Hello again.

I ran a search using the same criteria and with search distance of 20. I consistently got 20 in return. At this point, I'm not totally sure why some of your results are different since the requests should be identical when going to Groundspeak. Possibly they have some variation when selecting a number of caches within a particular radius... but if you each get consistently different results that may not be the case.

What are your selections for "Imperial Units" in Settings? 

Hi Ron

You my have found the problem.  We had some different things in settings, mine had metric and Kerry's had imperial - as one mile is larger than one kilometre, that would explain her caches returned figure being larger.

Further, I re-ran a search on each phone just now, after having changed all of the settings to the same choices, and also reduced the search distance to 1.

Doing this returned 11 caches on my phone, which is consistent with my original searches with a search distance of 1.  The good news is that Kerry's phone, using the same search criteria AND the same settings, also returns 11 caches, and most importantly, the SAME 11 caches.

It also explains the same 50 caches being returned when the search distance was 5, as all each search was returning was the nearest 50 to the radius within that radius of 5.

I believe you have found the issue, the good thing is that it is not an App issue, it was a user issue. 

Thanks again for all your help.

Reply #6
Good to hear!

But for me, I still wonder if there is something that may need more investigation. Regardless whether metric or imperial, Geooh sends the request to Groundspeak in meters so a "1" distance would be considered either one mile or one kilometer (based on settings) converted to meters. I'll see if the conversion needs more fine-tuning to be consistent.

Thanks for your patience and assistance!