Skip to main content

News

• New version of Geooh Live published!

Topic: app shutdown? (Read 249 times) previous topic - next topic

app shutdown?
Hi,

I was travelling last week and while caching I received the notification about the app shutdown. I was in the middle of something and didn't get to read the whole message. Is it possible to post the text here?

Thanks!

Re: app shutdown?
Reply #1

Reply #2
Will the new version be faster to load caches?

I have tried several apps and not found the "perfect" one

1. The official is missing a lot of basic functionality
2. Locus Map is complex and sometimes difficult to use.
3. GCDroid has a text size which is way to small for me

and

4. Geooh Live have a nice design and is easy to use, but is to slow opening a database with 4000 or more geocaches. Locus Map and GCDroid takes their time to import the pocket query, but when it is imported it is quick to open. Geooh Live, on the other hand, is quick to import, but slow to open this dataset afterwards.
  • Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 12:45:21 AM by stigvi

Reply #3
I don't think you'll find much difference between the versions. Pocket queries will download very fast, but opening an offline list will about the same as now depending on the number of caches in the list. Geooh is doing more to maintain a richer interface so it takes time to prepare things when opening. Honestly, it's not designed for lists so large such as 4000.

I continue to look for ways to improve speed, but you may be disappointed when opening a large list. On the other hand, the new version brings more features and improvements that may offset load times.

Reply #4
I continue to look for ways to improve speed, but you may be disappointed when opening a large list. On the other hand, the new version brings more features and improvements that may offset load times.

The other apps seems to do some preprocessing and store this for instant usage. Looking4cache can present this list with 4000 caches instantly even on an old iphone.

Anyway, I am looking forward for trying out your new app :-)

Reply #5
I found your comment about Geooh live not made for large offline list interesting. I was wondering how rare 4000 caches in a list was and decided to ask in a Norwegian geocaching forum.

51 persons answered that they only use live functionality and never store caches for offline use
3 persons used lists with 2000 caches
9 persons used lists with 5000 caches
9 persons used lists with 10000 caches

That's a 5/2 ratio between live usage and large list usage.

Reply #6
Yeah, depends on personal use and how someone caches. Large lists for GSAK would be the norm in my mind because that software is designed to manipulate large lists of data for export. For a geocaching app out in the field a large list seems odd and confusing as to the use case. Geooh is designed to help you find caches using rich displays, sorts, filtering, FTF/DNF/LNY badges that require more preprocessing to display a list... so a big list can be done, but it will take time. The apps that show lists quickly are also not doing as much for the informational displays and realtime list manipulation.

Use the tool best suited to your caching style.

Reply #7
The Geooh Live Notice posted in March stated "Geooh Live will stop working May 1" and "The new version of Geooh will become available in April so you can download it as a replacement."
May 1st is only a few days away and I have not seen any further info on a new version being released. What's up?

Reply #8
Groundspeak extended the cutover to the new API until June 1 so everything has been pushed out a month. So now the new app will be available early May instead which gives me more time for bug fixes and tweaks.

I changed the notice to June 1, but maybe that's not working. I'll create a new notification. Thanks.